UNIX and IDE interface?

John Lawitzke jhl at frith.uucp
Thu May 31 06:12:51 AEST 1990

>From article <2284 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, by davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr):
>
>   Has anyone ever run Xenix or UNIX on a system with a IDE disk? I can't
> seem to get an answer from anyone who's done it, and "it should work"
> from a vendor dosn't fill me with confidence.

It runs just fine. By definition an IDE disk presents a standard ST506
interface to the system. To Xenix/UNIX this just looks like a standard
MFM or RLL disk. From throughput comparisons I've run on Quantum SCSI
and IDE drives, the IDE drives have performance just slightly under the
SCSI performance.

--
j                               |%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl at frith.egr.msu.edu