SCO UNIX BOOT :sfmt for ESDI drive

Steven Jukoff stevej at synopsys.synopsys.com
Wed May 30 04:59:56 AEST 1990

In SCO UNIX v3.2 I do an "sfmt" on my ESDI disk and eventually it asks me for
skew as in:

Boot
: sfmt

.
.
.
skew [0-15]? 1
.
.
.

I don't know if this is disk skew or head skew or cylinder skew, etc.
What does skew mean and what is the correct answer?

Hardware: SMS OMTI 8620 controller board attached to a Micropolis 1355.

Both SCO and MICROPOLIS claim they do not use skew, so what's the answer?
And what is the penalty for being wrong?

Steven Jukoff,             Phone: (415)962-5407
Synopsys, Inc.             FAX:   (415)965-8637
1098 Alta Ave              DDN:   stevej at synopsys.com
Mountain View, CA 94043    UUCP:  ..!uunet!fernwood!synopsys!stevej