the PC-WARE problem (Re: 386ix and Parallel Printers)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue May 8 02:20:37 AEST 1990

[software that goes around the standard system-provided interfaces]

In article <1990May6.152012.14804 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
> And they wonder why people don't take Unix seriously in the business
> marketplace?  It has nothing to do with the operating system, and everything
> to do with the monkeys who program the applications for it.

I call this the "PC-WARE" problem. PC-WARE is software written under an
inadequate operating system and ported to an adequate one. If you think it's
bad on UNIX, you should see some of the crap that IBM-PC and Atari ports try
to pull on the Amiga. The most important advantage of a protected mode
operating system, in my opinion, is that it forces developers to obey the
rules.

The only real solution I see is to go out and bulk-erase all the copies of
MS-DOS and TOS in the world. Pity that really effective solutions like that
are so impractical...
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180.      <peter at ficc.uu.net>
 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?  <peter at sugar.hackercorp.com>