Backup Blues

John G. De Armond jgd at rsiatl.UUCP
Fri May 25 11:15:23 AEST 1990

tyager at maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) writes:

>In article <1990May20.171556.10942 at iti.uucp>, todd at iti.uucp (maroC ddoT) writes:
>>
>> 	I have a 300 meg file (yes, 300 meg) that refuses to backup on tape.
>>
>> 	find | cpio -ocB simply won't span volumes (dies with an I/O write
>> 	error).
>>
>> 	Any suggestions?
>> 	(maybe I should just use GNU tar....)
>> - todd coram (maroC ddoT)

>As unpopular as it is to say "go buy this" around here,

Forutnately, you DON'T have to buy anything.  Before you do anything
else, try the -O option to cpio (assuming you are using Interactive
or AT&T 386/IX).  This switch lets you specify the output device
directly rather than going through shell redirection.  Once you do
this, cpio is smart enough to split across tape volumes.

If for some reason, that still does not work, get a copy of afio.  (I'll
mail a copy if you really cannot find it in an archive.  Try UUNET.)
Afio is much faster than cpio, has more defaults set to what most
people set them to and very definitely has the ability to split files
across multiple backup volumes.  And since it comes in source form,
you can verify its techniques and/or change them.  I've found afio
to be much more tolerant of corrupted headers than cpio.  We've
converted over to it completely.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress
Radiation Systems, Inc. | than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply