ESIX, EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT, ETHERNET, QUESTIONS, 486 UNIX

Thomas E. Kunselman tek at ms.uky.edu
Wed May 30 03:03:38 AEST 1990

Hi!

Well, I think I've found a machine under my $8000 hardware limit.

A Northgate 486 Elegance system with 8 MB ram, 256K SRAM cache,
200 MB MAXTOR ESDI disk, VGA and color monitor.
This costs $7639.

The base system comes with 64K SRAM cache.  How much difference will
maxing that to 256K make?

I asked the ESIX people if this would work, they said that there is
no reason why it shouldn't, but they had not tried it themself.
Any comments as to whether it will work or not?

I need to get a twisted pair ethernet card.  The guy at ESIX said
that they only supported thin/thick ethernet cards from 3COM,
WD and Everex.  Is there a difference between a thick or thin ethernet
card from 3COM and a twisted pair ethernet card from them, if they
make one, that would make the card require a different driver?

Also, I don't think I understand this VP/IX stuff.  I definitely will
need to run a few DOS applications.  If I'm going to be the only user
running DOS, do I need to get an unlimited license or can I get the two
user license?  Will a two user license limit me to running only to
DOS applications at a time?

Can I run Microsoft Windows under VP/IX?  I'm not sure I can afford the
unlimited VP/IX thing.

Anyone know of someplace that offers ESIX at an educational discount?

--
Thomas Kunselman                              {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!tek
Planning and Institutional Research       	bitnet: irkunsel at ecuvm1.bitnet
East Carolina University			internet:tek at ms.uky.edu
Greenville, NC 27858		(Educate, Don't Legislate!)