ESIX, EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT, ETHERNET, QUESTIONS, 486 UNIX

Flint Pellett flint at gistdev.gist.com
Thu May 31 02:38:01 AEST 1990

tek at ms.uky.edu (Thomas E. Kunselman) writes:

>Hi!

>Well, I think I've found a machine under my $8000 hardware limit.

>A Northgate 486 Elegance system with 8 MB ram, 256K SRAM cache,
>200 MB MAXTOR ESDI disk, VGA and color monitor.
>This costs $7639.

Another company you ought to check out is Cheetah.  (Phone 1-800-cheetah)
I have one of their 486 machines that ran $8500: it includes the 486,
8 MB RAM, a 300 MB CDC SCSI drive, PSI Hyper-Store SCSI caching disk
controller with 4MB of cache on the controller, a Seiko CM-1440 monitor
(The .25 dot pitch on this monitor is the best you'll find anywhere)
and 512K Super-VGA (800x600x256 non-interlaced, 1024x768x16 interlaced),
both 3.5 and 5.25 floppies, and a 450 watt power supply to handle the 5
other disks and the toaster I'll surely need to hang off that SCSI
controller.  :-)

If you left out the disk controller and the memory on it you'd save
about $1400, but I wouldn't recommend that-- why have a machine that
has all that cpu power bogged down because the disk can't keep up?
You can save $200 by not getting the larger power supply and get a
smaller disk and probably get to your $8K budget without much problem.

The Cheetah doesn't have cache available (other than the 8K cache
that is built into the 486), and they aren't EISA, but for the price
I don't think they can be beat.  (The price probably is up some now,
I bought mine in Dec. in a promotion knowing it wouldn't ship for
3 months.)
--
Flint Pellett, Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, IL  61874     (217) 352-1165
INTERNET: flint%gistdev at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
UUCP:     uunet!gistdev!flint