386ix and Parallel Printers

Bob Monio pnessutt at dmshq.mn.org
Tue May 8 07:12:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990May7.134227.796 at cti-software.nl> pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>pnessutt at dmshq.mn.org (Bob Monio) writes:
>
>>Agreed.  But remember that it's a rather rough job to provide
>>portability in a program across different versions of spoolers on
>>different flavors of UNIX.  It's made harder in case of the above
>>mentioned program when the 4GL that is being used doesn't support
>>spooling of output at all...  (ie: PROGRESS)
>
>That is incorrect. In Progress you can pipe to any UNIX command
>with the "write through" statement. Even the default printer
>is a pipe to "lp -s".

True.  Progress's "write through" option does give that ability.

But it still leaves the implementation of spooling and printer control
to the programmer and the spooler on the OS that he is using.  Is
there a better way?  I dunno.  Is there anyone out there in netland
who has developed an application that is portable across spoolers on a
variety of UNIXes?  That is, without using a spooler the vendor would
supply with the application?

--
 Robert A. Monio                     "I've learned all my heroes and wanted
 Level I Systems, Inc.                the same/To try out my hand at the