hardware costs, again...

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Mon May 28 04:57:37 AEST 1990

leech at homer.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) writes:
> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> >All of the pricing that has been posted here about the 386s are quantity
> >1 Jon Q Public prices and you can't compare them to quantity/educational
> >discounted prices.
>     No, *you* can't.  Those of us who can get academic discounts...[etc]

So start a new discussion thread about which manufacturers are willing to
bribe educational institutions in order to boost interest in their hard-
ware.  (I need a less pejorative word than "bribe", I guess, since it's an
eminently sensible business practice for the manufacturer and a good deal
for the purchaser too.  Besides, it's a proven technique in the UNIX com-
munity, all the way back to UNIX itself.:-)

We were talking about machines that people can afford to buy for them-
selves to run UNIX.  If the new Sun box prices don't apply to quantity 1
end user, it's out of this discussion, period.  It *is* an interesting box,
but it's not what we were talking about.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Simpler is better.