VGA X11.4 server problem

Bill O'Hanlon wmo at rebma.rebma.mn.org
Wed May 30 04:08:51 AEST 1990

I'm having a little getting the X11.4 server going on my machine.

I got past the minor problems with getting it compiled and installed.
I have the dbm libraries, I removed the files ending in ~ in lib/X, etc.

Here's the problem: when I run it, the machine panics.  There's quite a
bit of disk access, and xinit gives a few messages.  These talk about
starting up the X server, using the RT keyboard, and waiting for the
server to respond.

I'm a little curious if the bit about the RT keyboard is correct...

The machine panics with a "parity error on add-on card"...

My VGA card is a Paradise.  I'm running on a 33 MHZ 386; the motherboard
is made by Mylex.

I know the VGA card is fine, because I can run Interactive's X11.3 just
fine, and DOS things that use the card work fine, too.

Anyone seen anything like this?  The things I'm suspicious of, so far,
are
	1) the bit about the RT keyboard--the code in that place
	   mentions the regular PC keyboard as being the other
	   possibility.  I can't figure out why I'm getting RT there,
	   unless I'm s'posed to.

	2) Maybe I've got something set up funny because I have the regular
	   X11.3 package installed?  I did try taking the support for it
	   out of the kernel, but that didn't help.
	   (In case it's not obvious, I moved all the X11.3 stuff out of
	   the way.)

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm not hurting, because I do have the
regular X product, but r4 would be nice to have.

Bill O'Hanlon						 wmo at rebma.mn.org
"Everything in excess!  To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks."  -- Lazarus Long