How to make a disaster boot floppy?

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Sun May 27 13:41:15 AEST 1990

In article <1990May25.120501.26091 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:

| After having tried under uport 386 the solution of making a new
| unix kernel on the floppy that reads the tape, I settled on
| the following scheme. Its advantage is that disaster recovery
| is simple, the "supplement" disk is readily updated, and
| you don't need to keep multiple flavors of boot floppy around
| (when the vendor upgrades the os, there's minimal extra work)

  You describe a method by wich you can reload, but my interpretation of
the original request was for something useful to recover... I have a
bootable floppy with tape configured, and it has all of the utilities I
can possibly fit on one disk. Since most of my systems have a 2nd disk,
I have a directory stub called bin2 to hold the mounted 2nd disk of
goodies, and on systems which allow it a RAM disk to make the really
frequently needed things (df, fsck, ls, etc) available quickly.

  What you describe is useful (I archived the posting) but not what I
think of as a disaster floppy.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX