Using GCC/GAS Xenix on AT&T Unix V/386.3.2

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Thu May 3 04:16:05 AEST 1990

glenn at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Glenn Geers) writes:
>From article <2459 at crash.cts.com>, by jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau):
>> bill at bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:
>>>
>>>If I am interpreting (or reading between the lines properly) you are saying
>>>that the Development system doens't support creation of demand paged programs
>>>in Xenix even though the OS does.
>>>
>>>I thought the paging was a function of the os and not the linkers.
>>>
>>>Or am I totally confused.
>>
>> Maybe I am as well.  My understanding is that the linker has to link up the
>> code in such a way that it can be swapped or demand paged.  Keep in mind that
>> I am only familiar with systems that only do swapping, not demand paging and
>> if Xenix 386 does do it, I obviously have overlooked it.  The only process
>> that I see running is the swapper when I do a ps, of course, on systems that
>> do demand paging, it has to be really loaded to kick in.
>>
>> Again, I may be completely wrong...and if I stuck my keyboard in my mouth, my
>> apologies.
>
>Xenix 386 *DOES* demand page. If it didn't how could I run processes larger
>than physical memory ? I have 3640kb available - subtract ~1Mb for the kernel
>leaving 2640kb but my maximum process size is ~4500kb.
>Why doesn't someone just do vmstat -s and look at the pagein/out stats that are
>provided ?

Maybe I'd better refine the question, what's the difference between ordinary
swapping and demand paging?  I've heard of systems having both and the demand
pager kicking in when the swapper is heavily loaded.  Or am I listening to
misinformation?

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Xenix is the ONLY thing
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Microsoft did right.
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca