the wonders of SCSI

Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Software gsteckel at diag2.East.Sun.COM
Wed May 30 02:33:53 AEST 1990

>ggw at wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>>
>>These drives fsck and mount quite well.
>
>>  The maxtor and adaptec 1542A (intr and dma and such are
>>all correct.) are in place and work (sort of!).  I can mkfs/fsck/fsstat
>>the scsi drive (as /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 or c1d0p0) BUT! no variant of
>>/etc/mount will let me mount the device any where on the filesystem!
>>
>>	mount: /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 no such device

Having just been through a fun day replacing a CDC 941??-154 with a Miniscribe
9380S, I have a few suggestions and questions:

What partitions do you have set up?  What does /etc/partitions say about your
drive?  What does "/etc/mkpart -t vp" say?
If you have no entries in your /etc/partitions for the new drive, try
copying the entries for an existing disk, decode them with the /etc/mkpart
documentation, edit them to match your real disk, and make a vtoc with
/etc/mkpart.  Also label the volume (and I've forgotten the name of the
utility... /etc/dlabel?)

I don't thing you want to mount /dev/dsk/c1d0s0...  slice 's0' is not (according
to TFM) normally a mountable slice.  If you have only mountable one slice,
/dev/dsk/c1d0s1 is the likeliest name.  You should have done mkfs on
/dev/rds/c1d0s[134...], depending on which partitions are defined in
/etc/partitions.

If you have defined more than one slice using the default utilities, you will
probably have `c1d0s1', `c1d0s3', and `c1d0s4' as mountable partitions.

Note to ISC: 2.0.2 sysadm scripts CREATE 'disk01' in /etc/partitions when
you add a hard disk, but LOOK FOR 'disk1' when you ask it to list drive status.
More info if you want it by email.

It would be very useful to have a `upgrade main disk' utility script in sysadm.
Initial setup of the new disk as an additional disk took only a few minutes.
Copying the data from the old to new disk with cpio took only a few more.

BUT: Changing the new disk to be a bootable root disk was no fun!
It took most of a day to get the boot sectors, partitions, and names right!
UNIX `fdisk' doesn't know about creating extended DOS partitions, and DOS
fdisk wiped out the UNIX partitions trying to fix that!  (Luckily the UNIX
vtoc was still intact, so just change the SCSI address jumpers for the 45th
time, reboot, and re-fdisk...)

I hope this helps.
    regards,
	geoff steckel (gwes at wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivor!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.