the wonders of SCSI

Richard Foulk richard at pegasus.com
Tue May 29 23:34:39 AEST 1990

>I did my first install of a SCSI system last evening.  I was surprised
>to find that no low-level formatting was required.  Is this usual, or is
>this something that the manufacturer or distributor of my disk just
>happened to do?  It made the install wonderously easy - truly a plug 'n
>play event.  All other issues aside, just the time saved paid for the
>difference between ESDI and SCSI.

Although SCSI drives are often shipped pre-formatted I've seen
recommendations, several different places, to format them again upon
installation.  This helps to make up for any changes that may have
occurred to the drive during shipping, and to find any new bad blocks
that may have developed.

Sun also recommends re-formatting if you decide to change the
orientation of a drive (horizontal vs. vertical mount).

Richard Foulk		richard at pegasus.com