Xenix to Dos cross-development

Steve Bleazard steve at robobar.co.uk
Thu May 24 17:28:13 AEST 1990

In article <77 at rsoft.bc.ca> frank at rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) writes:
>I am looking for help from anyone who has used SCO's Xenix->Dos cross
>development facilites.
>
>One short question:  Is it possible to make use of third party libraries
>intended for MSC version 5.1 ?
>
>I am attempting to use the CWORTHY screen/form management library in a dos
>application I am developing under SCO 386 Xenix.  Everything compiles fine
>but the linker chokes on the first library - "Invalid object module".  Does
>this mean I haven't used the appropriate flags to cc or does this mean I am
>out of luck?

  1) SCO Xenix object files targeted for the 80286 are compatible with
     DOS object files.

  2) Object files for the 386 _may_ be compatible with some dos extender
     linkers

  3) DOS Libraries are _not_ compatible with SCO Xenix libraries.

To use a third party library with SCO Xenix use the following procedure

  1) extract all the modules from the third party library using the DOS lib
     command.

  2) recombine the modules using ar(C) under SCO Xenix

  3) ranlib the new library

DISCLAIMER:

  I haven't tried this procedure so it may be wrong in detail (I don't have a
  MSC manual to hand so I'm not sure about the module extraction)

Steve
--
Steve.Bleazard at RoboBar.Co.Uk        | Phone:  +44 81 991 1142 x153
Snr Software Engineer, Robobar Ltd. | Fax:    +44 81 998 8343 (G3)