gnu.emacs

hank barta hb at vpnet.chi.il.us
Fri May 25 15:55:03 AEST 1990

>     If anyone has managed to get gnu emacs or gnu bash running on a 386 with
> interactive's unix, please write and tell me how you did it.
>
>     I'm having fun with missing include files, etc.
>

> 				Peter Farabaugh

I'm trying to get bash up under SCO Unix, and I've made it past the
header problem. That seemed to be because the makefile concluded that
an 'i386' machine was BSD. I have included the appropriate section
from machines.h below for your reference:

/* ************************ */
/*			    */
/*	    i386	    */
/*			    */
/* ************************ */
#if defined (i386)
#undef i386
#define M_MACHINE "i386"
#define M_OS SYSV
#define REQUIRED_LIBRARIES -lx
/* #define HAVE_SIGLIST
   #define HAVE_SETLINEBUF*/
/* #define USE_GNU_MALLOC*/
/*#define ALLOCA_ASM i386-alloca.s*/
#define DIRENT
#endif /* i386 */

Elsewhere I believe I made changes to select the C version of
alloca and defeated usage of SCO's wait.h. Bash conmpiles and
links and runs, but when I expand filename arguments, the first
two characters of each file name gets lopped off. I tried the
'vi like' command line editing and really like it, so I wish
I could get it to run!  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I tried to mail you - an SCO response to an Interactive
question is too likely to garner flames! But the mail kept
bouncing.

White Oak Software Inc.                 Henry Barta
0 South 258 Park                        (708) 510-0578 (voice)
Winfield, IL 60190                      ...!vpnet.chi.il.us!pswin!barta
Predictable systems by design.          hb at vpnet.chi.il.us