Info on Adaptec ACB 2322

WB3FFV howardl at wb3ffv.ampr.org
Tue May 29 00:37:45 AEST 1990

>From article <1764 at tuegate.tue.nl>, by rcstack at eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Studenten Vereniging Stack):
>
> I have recently acquired a ST2383E (Imprimis WREN VI) and an
> Adaptec 2322 controller (labeled ACB 2322B-8 on U28). The ST2383E
> is a 15Mb/s ESDI drive. I would like to know if the Adaptec controller
> is capable of driving a 15Mb/s drive and which performance should
> be expected.

Well I was talking with a tech at adaptec the other day, and this is what
I was informed of for what it's worth  (actually about two months ago).

> According to an add in a German magazine there exist three versions of
> this controller:
> ACB 2322B   for 10Mb/s
> ACB 2322B-0 for 15Mb/s
> ACB 2322D   for 20Mb/s drives.
>
> My dealer however assures me that these versions don't exist. He claims
> that the three versions are:
> ACB 2322B no cache
> ACB 2322B-8 8K cache
> ACB 2322B-16 16K cache
>
> Which of the above is correct and how do I know if my controller
> is suited for this drive.

The ACB 2322B is rated to 10mbps and contains 8K cache  (I ran a 15mbps drive
                                                         on this controller!)

The ACB 2322B-8 has 8K cache and is rated to 15mbps

The ACB 2322B-16 has 16K cache and is rated at 15mbps  (if you can find one)

The ACB 2322D has 16K cache and is just a more current version of the 2322b16
              controller.  I didn't ask about 20mbps drives, so I can't say
              if this controller is cabable of this data rate.

I hope this is of some help, and maybe somebody else can shed some light on
the ability of the 2322D to run at 20mbps transfer rates...