386ix and Parallel Printers

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Mon May 7 01:20:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990May3.111446.2879 at oct1.UUCP> mason at oct1.UUCP (David M. Mason) writes:
>In article <15427 at bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>>My advice: If you're not really running multi-user, ditch the spooler.
>>It's a pain in the caboose.  Just pump to /dev/lp and have a nice day.
>
>There is also a signifiacant saving in main memory if you don't use the
>spooler.  On ISC 2.0.2 it takes 181k every time you type "lp".  On
>straight AT&T 3.2 it's about 244k.
>
>On the other hand, I have never had more support hassles than from
>packages that try to get smart and talk straight to a SERIAL printer
>port.  Try explaining "stty -a" to an accountant.

Yeah, no kidding.

Put about 3/4 of the accounting packages in the WORLD in that basket.  They
deserve it.  Then shoot the programmers -- they deserve it too.

MCBA is an offender.  They try to talk direct to serial printers.  It
doesn't work much of the time, since they aren't smart enough to do an
ioctl() once they open the port!

Guess what?  You end up with a few processes "holding open" the port, which
can cause other problems.  That REALLY sucks, folks.

What they should do is use the "class" features of the spooler if they're
worried about special forms, or use the "forms" features in the SVR3
spooler.  But no, they have to be "cute" and write direct.

If I had a dollar for everytime I saw this........

And they wonder why people don't take Unix seriously in the business
marketplace?  It has nothing to do with the operating system, and everything
to do with the monkeys who program the applications for it.

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]