Strange effects of TZ on su -l

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.mbx.sub.org
Mon May 28 20:27:46 AEST 1990

john at design.axis.fr (John H) writes:

>Here is a wierdy I came across a while ago.  I have my "TZ" environment
>variable set to:

>TZ="HFH-1HFE-2;84/2:00,273/2:00"

>So I get DST at the right time here in France.  It works very well.

>But!  Whenever I do a "su -l" (or any of the sysadm scripts that do
>a "su -l" internaly) I get the error:

>	00: Invalid identifier

>just after I've entered the password.  Does anyone know what might
>be going wrong here?

>I see the same effect in 386/ix 2.0.2 and Esix System 5.3.2 Rev. C.

I've experienced the same problem here in Germany. There seems to be a
bug in `su' that prevents it from working with the long form of the
time zone string. Eventually I gave up and returned to the short form.
It's easier to change this string twice a year than to change it whenever
you want to use `su'. Hope this is fixed in Interactives 2.2 release.

     Uwe
Uwe Doering   |  Domain   : gemini at geminix.mbx.sub.org
West Germany  |  Bangpath : ...!uunet!pyramid!tub!tmpmbx!geminix!gemini