journalling (was Re: Disk Mirroring (was Re: Altos 5000))

Paul Haas/1000000 paulh at cimage.com
Sat Sep 1 03:45:21 AEST 1990

In article <3895 at altos86.Altos.COM> dtynan at altos86.Altos.COM (Dermot Tynan) writes:
>Certainly "journaling" is another approach.  However, it puts the onus on
>the person writing the application, rather than hiding it in the OS, ...
Journalling can be placed in the OS.  Look at the filesystems for the
IBM's Risc 6000 or the paper "The LFS Storage Manager" by Mendel Rosenblum
and John K. Ousterhout in the proceedings of the 1990 Usenix Summer
Conference.

There are situations where you want both journaling and mirroring,
they solve different problems.
---
Paul Haas  paulh at cimage.com
I am not a spokesperson for Cimage Corporation.