ANSI-C compatible cc in SysV??

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Wed Sep 5 02:29:22 AEST 1990

rlin at cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) writes:

>Is the cc in Interactive System V 3.2 ANSI-C compatible? I tested cc
>on a small program with function prototyping ANSI style, and cc promptly
>choked. Looking through the cc man page reveals no special switch for
>ANSI C compatibility.

	No, ISC's standard compiler is *not* ANSI compliant, though the
2.2 compiler includes a POSIX option. Works fine. They do include the LPI
New C compiler which constitutes their ANSI offering, but I never got it
to work right. Since I do so much work with (Uncle) Sam, having a robust
POSIX system is more critical to me than having ANSI.

	While on the subject, binaries compiled under ISC with the POSIX
flag will NOT run under SCO ODT 1.0 or Xenix/386. Is that proper behavior?
Some sort of startup check must be taking place, since all I get on those
non-ISC platforms is something like "POSIX not supported".