Interactive Crashes BIG TIMES

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Mon Sep 3 06:24:51 AEST 1990

In article <9374 at ubc-cs.UUCP> rlin at cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) writes:
>It must be my bad karma. My Interactive 386/ix, version 2.0 (yes I know it's
>old) crashed so bad that it wiped out the entire /usr file system, due to
>a rude message of something like:
>
>*** DEVICE ERROR: Fatal unrecoverable error reading sector 800334
>
>All that happened was my X-windows server froze up, forcing me to reboot
>without proper shut down. Never thought it could destory the entire /usr
>file system.
>
>Having just installed the entire system yesterday, installing over 50 disks,
>this really got me depressed. I was using 2.0 version of NFS and 1.1.2 of
>TCP/IP. Is this a well known problem that got fixed in release 2.2?

NO, this means absolute sector 800334 on your disk is *bad*.
If you can get your system up, do a "/etc/mkpart -A 800334" as root.
This tells ISC to remap the bad sector.  Reboot the system, and voila
the problem should be gone.  Unfortunately whatever data that was on
sector 800334 is probably history.
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art