What does SUID, SGID and Sticky bits do on inappropriate files?

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sat Dec 29 16:03:30 AEST 1990

As quoted from <BZS.90Dec28205902 at world.std.com> by bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein):
+---------------
| The major speedup is/was/might-have-been due to the kernel being able
| to pull an executable image from swap faster than from the file system
| (no chasing of indirect blocks and so forth), and the possibility that
| it was still in memory which was faster still.

Even if it wasn't in memory, V7 built new process images (execve()) on swap,
so things were generally closer together that way.  (But you already knew
that, right?  The only reason I'm a "guru" is that there aren't many real ones
in northern Ohio.)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN