becoming root via NFS

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Mon Dec 17 19:23:01 AEST 1990

Before I get flamed for having pointed out a problem without suggesting a
solution, here's an idea.  Add a new option to mount like suid that says
whether device files are to be considered valid; otherwise return ENXIO.
Normally only mount root this way, and never export root.  I believe this
will do the trick.  For diskless workstations, you of course have their
[the workstation owners] devices on your [the server] disk, and they can
add all the devices they want to that partition, but since that filesystem
isn't mounted with device interpretation enabled, it won't do them any
good anyway.

Until something like this is done, if you can be root on the workstation,
you can be root on the server.

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist at convex.com	convex!tchrist
"With a kernel dive, all things are possible, but it sure makes it hard