non-superuser chown(2)s considered harmful

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Fri Dec 14 20:15:04 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec13.155645.10478 at monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> Rik Harris writes:
>>>Ok. I create a file, for the sole purpose of giving to a friend of mine, who
>>>doesn't happen to be in my group.  Without making the file world-readable
>>You have your system administrator make you and your friend members
>>of the same supplementary group.  Or you mail the file.
>We use a program called `sendfile' but that's part of the ACSnet

Why not use uuto?  I do it all the time for that sort of thing.  E.G:
    uuto -p myfile !user

I always use the -p option so I don't have to figure out if I am in a
directory readable by uucp.  Note the bang in front of user.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government