becoming root via NFS

Root Boy Jim rbj at uunet.UU.NET
Sat Dec 22 07:48:40 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec19.180541.7693 at convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
? From the keyboard of rbj at uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim):
? :In article <111544 at convex.convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
? :? Do a mknod
? :? giving it the major,minor numbers of /dev/mem on the server,
? :? not the workstation.
? :
? :Um, only root can do a mknod, `nobody' can't.
?
?
? Says who?  This isn't so.  I'm on my workstation.  I'm the superuser.
? I've got the trusting server's filesystem mounted on my system.
? (It's a diskless 350, so I have to have something.)   I can certainly
? do the mknod.  Watch (I'm root at cthulhu, my workstation):

OK, so you did. But you shouldn't have been able to, and will not
after you start running SunOS 4.1. I know people who know.
--

	Root Boy Jim Cottrell <rbj at uunet.uu.net>
	Close the gap of the dark year in between