What does sync() _really_ do?

Dave Eisen dkeisen at Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU
Thu Dec 27 03:54:55 AEST 1990

In article <PCG.90Dec22171527 at odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

>Yep. The *only* portable way to make sure that the buffers associated to
>a file's block are freed is to unmount the filesystem on which the file
>resides.

Is unmounting a filesystem an easier way than doing enough reads from
other parts of the disk to overwrite all of the buffers in the cache?

--
Dave Eisen                          dkeisen at Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU
1447 N. Shoreline Blvd.