Complex security mechanism is unsecure

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Dec 17 03:10:59 AEST 1990

In article <4645 at pkmab.se> ske at pkmab.se (Kristoffer Eriksson) writes:
>In article <6886 at titcce.cc.titech.ac.jp> mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
>>A careless administrator may even think that it is safe to give some
>>half-trusted user "uucp" privilege.
>
>Make the administrator do all work in assembler, and maybe he won't dare
>do anything at all, and we will get a very "secure" system...

Ohta-san makes a valid complaint, except that any administrator worth
their salt knows that giving "bin" or "uucp" (or any other administrative
user ID) access to an untrustable user =is= equivalent to giving away
root access.

This isn't news.

Basically, the *-closure of the files executed by root, or which control
the function of a subject with root privilege must be protected.  That
means that every program directly executed by root, and the programs that
those programs execute, and the files that those programs use, and the
tools that generate the files that those programs use, and so on, must
be kept under root control or there is a chance that root may be violated.
That's a pretty big collection of files, but making the owner "root"
does not make the collection smaller.

>No, I think this argument is of no significance. To prevent carelessnes, you
>want to remove a useful security feature? My judgement is that root would
>become more vulnerable to simple mistakes, rather than less.

In reality root is subject to more severe errors since any error gives
is likely to give direct access to the root account.  With layered security,
a flaw in one program may stop there.  For example, a hole in a set-GID mail
program may make it so that you can read someone elses mail, while a hole in
a set-UID root program may make it so that you can read any file on the
entire system.  This is all grossly overgeneralized and oversimplified, but
you should begin to see the difference, and why least privilege is simply
more secure.  The only privilege you have ("uucp" access) is that exact
privilege you need.

>>"uucp" has large capability over files owned by "uucp" and referenced by
>>"root". That is the reality.
>
>When does root need to reference uucp files?

Quite often.  Don't dismiss the arguments he makes.  It's just that this is
not new news.  Giving away a "uucp" login is certainly giving away access
to everyone elses accounts, and probably the same as giving away access to
"root" as well.  If you don't know this, you have a serious problem already.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."