Is the DES algorythm PD?

John G Dobnick jgd at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
Sat Dec 29 11:36:17 AEST 1990

> In article <353 at cti1.UUCP>, mpledger at cti1.UUCP (Mark Pledger) writes...
> |                     Check out the November 1990 issue of Dr. Dobb's.  Al
> |Stevens discusses the DES alogrithm and provides his own version of it.  It
> |is available from Comp-U-Serv if you don't want to type the source in
> |your self.

Silly (and perhaps a bit off the subject) question time:

    I) Does this mean that Dr. Dobb's is now an "export restricted" item,
       and thus can not be mailed to any non-US subscribers?

   II) Does this now mean that Comp-U-Serv must restrict non-US subscriber
       access?

[Well, I _did_ say this was silly.  :-) ]
--
John G Dobnick  (JGD2)
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire