Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 5 of 6

Darragh J. Delany darragh at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Dec 11 04:35:46 AEST 1990

In article <PCG.90Dec5162259 at odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
}On 30 Nov 90 17:25:12 GMT, smith at sctc.com (Rick Smith) said:
}smith> A Unix hacker can't sneer at Multics. It's like sneering at your
}smith> grandad.  Sure he's a doddering wreck, but he created some pretty
}smith> fine stuff that we can still be proud of. You, for example.
}If only! A very good argument can be made that Multics is a descendant
}of Unix! You can consider Multics the grandchild of Unix.

If I remember rightly the very name Unix was a pun on Multics
which was the epitomy of what an efficient operating system
should not have been.

Darragh.