non-superuser chown(2)s considered harmful

Neil Rickert rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu
Sun Dec 16 14:32:58 AEST 1990

In article <2807 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In <1990Dec14.150710.4273 at mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil
>Rickert) writes:
>
>> cd /usr/spool/mail
>> touch dhesi
>> chmod 777 dhesi
>
>> Now I own your mail box.
>
>I believe this problem was fixed going from 4.2BSD to 4.3BSD;  if
>I remember correctly, the mail delivery program forces the mailbox
>to be owned by the user and not readable or writable by anybody else.

 I believe you will find that it does not change the permissions.  Note the
chmod I listed there, so that even if owner and group are changed by /bin/mail
the mailbox is still public.  Of course you can make it private again.  But
how many people go around regularly checking the permissions on their
mailbox?

 The /bin/mail on a Sun 4.1 does not seem to change mailbox ownership.  I
have a guest account on such a system in which the admin changed my uid,
and the result was I could not access my mailbox till I got him to fix
the ownership.

>If it doesn't, or if I'm remembering incorrectly, the security problem
>is in the mail delivery program, *not* with the fact that the mail
>directory itself is world-writable.  We are assuming, of course, that
>the sticky bit is set on the mail directory.
>

>I will grant you that a denial-of-service situation is still possible
>by simply going to the mail directory and creating a file $USER.lock,

 Don't you consider this a problem?