Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 5 of 6

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Mon Dec 3 12:51:54 AEST 1990

In article <O7Y77DB at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>The 386 box on my desk at work is a comparable
>machine, with 5 times the RAM of the old 11/70, but more than 10 users kill
>it dead. And that's probably more users than the typical 386-class UNIX box
>is expected to support.

That's because the '386 box, although it has the processing power, doesn't
have the I/O power.  I.e., NO BANDWIDTH!

If we're really lucky, the EISA machines will help this a lot; they should
be able to do things better.  Note that, while the Intel-based MCA machines
don't have the throughput needed for lots of users, the RS6000 (also MCA
based) *does*.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."