holes in files

Paul Chamberlain tif at doorstop.austin.ibm.com
Fri Dec 28 01:41:10 AEST 1990

In article <11749 at alice.att.com> andrew at alice.att.com (Andrew Hume) writes:
>what scares me more are hyperintelligent
>disk drives that have built in data compression and might be able
>to take 20 blocks of some values but not be able to overwrite them
>because of different compression rates.

You also may eventually run into a problem with a WORM drive that
records new versions of blocks/files in a different place.  Then
again, you may also have to cope with a filesystem that looks almost
full but, when you fill it up, it gets bigger.  This will work until
you run out of space to grow the filesystem.  This is just a small
step from what AIX Version 3 currently does.

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM.         IBM VNET: sc30661 at ausvm6
512/838-9662     | This is rumored to work now --> tif at doorstop.austin.ibm.com