Is the DES algorythm PD?

Bernhard Schneck bs at marvin.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de
Mon Dec 31 23:31:01 AEST 1990

piet at cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:
>There is a public domain, non-USA implementation of the DES algorithm from
>someone in Finland. We have it in our archive:

>How to get des.tar.Z from the archive at
>	Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University:

>[...]

Piet goes on and describes how to get that DES package via EMAIL or FTP.

Due to some very intelligent decisions our IP routing to *.nl is via
the US, so I am interested in the legal aspects of FTPing DES from
Utrecht.  As I understand the current situation I could FTP it if IP
routing were via InterEUNet, but it would violate US export
regulations if I use our default routing.

Is this (can this be) correct ????

>Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,

\Bernhard.
Bernhard Schneck        Internet: B.Schneck at Marvin.E17.Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE
TU Muenchen Physik E17            Postmaster at Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE
8046 Garching           BitNET  : schneck at dgablg5p
West Germany