Preventing date rollback

Richard "Tiger" Melville richard at dataspan.dataspan.UUCP
Thu Dec 6 08:55:55 AEST 1990

In article <rcosj.660348537 at chudich> rcosj at chudich.co.rmit.oz (John Simmons) writes:

   >Is there a reliable way to test if the date on a machine has been rolled
   >back ?

   Couldn't you get your program to check the date fairly regularly when it is
   run and write it away somewhere, keeping track of the latest date reached so
   far, then refuse to run at any time/date earlier than the latest one stored.

I considered this, but all that is required to get around it is to
re-install the software, and our record of the date is gone.  I am wondering
if I just shouldn't touch the guy's .login or some other frequently found
but seldom modified file, and use that for my record of the date.  Then,
if the date of that file is ever found to be in the future, the date has
been rolled back.  Not foolproof, of course, but perhaps something along
these lines could work most of the time...
--
             _Q     Q_       Richard Melville DataSpan Technology Inc.
      __    /_\)   /|        237-9313         400-540 5th ave SW