How do you find the symbolic links to files.

Bob Goudreau goudreau at larrybud.rtp.dg.com
Thu Dec 20 04:58:44 AEST 1990

In article <114818 at uunet.UU.NET>, rbj at uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:

> I agree that a system call to allocate a big chunk of disk would be
> nice.  Your example about a music program is well taken. It would
> also be nice if truncate would deallocate space in the middle of a
> file.

Indeed, the latter is already available in V.4 via the F_FREESP command
to fcntl(), which allows you to punch holes of arbitrary size at
arbitrary locations in a file.  Undocumented and so far unimplemented,
but hinted at in the code, is the corresponding F_ALLOCSP command that
would allow the opposite.  Neither F_FREESP or F_ALLOCSP appear yet in
the SVID or any other standard, but we can hope that they (or
equivalent functionality) will eventually be standardized.

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		goudreau at dg-rtp.dg.com
62 Alexander Drive			...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA