Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 5 of 6

Root Boy Jim rbj at uunet.UU.NET
Fri Dec 14 14:07:39 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec13.214234.16529 at odi.com> dlw at odi.com writes:
>Well, Multics isn't called that because it does "many things".  The
>"Multi" part is from the word "multiplexed", meaning that it is
>time-sharing system.  As is Unix, of course.  I wonder what is the
>one thing that Unix tried to do well.

Actually, it does two things: Schedule Processes and Multiplex I/O.
Now if /dev/proc (Processes as Files) had existed at that time,
it could be truly said that it did just one thing.

Actually, I think that from Ken Thompson's point of view that
the one thing it did well was play chess. At least endgames.
--

	Root Boy Jim Cottrell <rbj at uunet.uu.net>
	Close the gap of the dark year in between