How do you find the symbolic links to files.

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Wed Dec 12 16:42:51 AEST 1990

In article <2993:Dec1202:37:2090 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
:> I conclude from this that good archivers are not portable. One can
:> arguably conclude that if you want a portable program, you can in good
:> conscience restore files with as many holes as possible, since you
:> can't get it right.

:No! This is what Tom said, and it is entirely wrong. On a BSD system the
:right strategy is #2: do what's necessary to restore st_blocks. A
:program can reasonably depend on that information, so an archiver that
:doesn't restore st_blocks is buggy.

Taking my name in vain again, I see. :-)

I'll boldly state that any *application* (dump programs don't count) that
relies on whether or not a block of nulls is or isn't really allocated on
the disk is broken, and therefore it doesn't matter if you put in more
holes than were there.  Can anyone show me a case where it would break
something?

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist at convex.com	convex!tchrist
"With a kernel dive, all things are possible, but it sure makes it hard