segmentation fault with long host names

Brendan Kehoe brendan at cs.widener.edu
Fri Dec 21 07:35:18 AEST 1990

 Howdy .. I just came across something strange. I'd like to verify it before
letting Sun know about it (in case it's a site-specific problem, rather
than a system problem).
 Whenever I try to do any operation on the name
	kfps-roble6-dynamic.stanford.edu
 with ping, telnet, ftp, etc, I get "Segmentation fault".
 But this also happens with other things .. dig bitches about a
truncated answer & says "connection refused"; host sits there staring.
Only nslookup has ever been able to deal with it.
 I'd say it's being snagged by MAXHOSTNAMELEN, but that doesn't make
sense; foo.bar.baz.mix.me.a.good.drink is dealable -- only when one
particular part of a FQDN is really long does it die.
 Whatcha think?

     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan at cs.widener.edu

 Get ``Red Hot & Blue'', songs by Cole Porter sung by U2, Sinead O'Connor,
The Neville Brothers, Tom Waits, & many more. Proceeds benefit AIDS research.