setting ipg > MAXIPG on a filesystem?

Joe Habermann haberman at s1.msi.umn.edu
Thu Dec 27 05:20:35 AEST 1990

Please excuse me if this question has been asked many times
already.  It seems common enough.

We have a Sun running SunOS 4.0.3 that is acting as a net news
server.  Since news invariably makes many small files, we wanted
to make our news filesystem with many inodes.

The obvious thing to try is to run mkfs with a smaller nbpi
than the default.  We have tried this, but are now running up
against MAXIPG.  That is, no matter how small nbpi is made,
SunOS mkfs can only allocate <= MAXIPG inodes per cylider group
as defined in /usr/include/ufs/fs.h.

Is there any reasonable way around this problem?

Thanks,

Joe Habermann
haberman at msi.umn.edu