What does SUID, SGID and Sticky bits do on inappropriate files?

Mon Dec 31 16:21:15 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec29.165803.13809 at Think.COM> barmar at think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <BZS.90Dec28205902 at world.std.com> bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>[Regarding sticky executables]
>
>Actually, this is still useful on dataless workstations.  Our dataless
>workstations have local swap, /, and /usr, but /usr/local generally comes
>from an NFS server.  We've noticed significant performance improvement by
>setting the sticky bit on Lisp images, as it effectively causes the
>workstations to use their local swap space as a cache.

	Be careful, about this.  I suggested this to a system administrator
running a network of DEC RISC workstations recently.  When he set the sticky
bit on an executable and then ran it, his server crashed.  I don't know
which version of Ultrix this was, but do be careful...

---
Bill Bogstad				(301)338-5253
wjb at cogsci.cog.jhu.edu			JHU Cognitive Science Department