Hardware Architectures and I/O (was: Re: Jargon file...) **FLAME!!**

David M Archer v116kznd at ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu
Wed Dec 5 15:26:41 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec4.164231.10291 at eddie.mit.edu>, rs at eddie.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) writes...
>expected on a system which you've seriously overloaded.  I should
>think that a workstation that is billed as being blazingly fast would
>be able to handle running X and Emacs at the same time.

You've apparently never heard what Emacs stands for...  <grin>

---
Speaking of paging and those wonderfull things, we've recently been playing
with a 3rd-party product which sortof lets a Macintosh II with an '030
processor have virtual memory.  Problem is, it seems to require that the entire
active application, along with the system, needs to reside in memory, and any
other applications which might have been working in the background are more or
less halted.  And to think we thought a product that advertised that it gave
one virtual memory could run a 7MB application with roughly 2MB of system
memory in an 8MB machine.  How foolish of us.  One wonders if System 7 will
handle virtual memory any better, although most sane people have given up
wondering about System 7.