Serial I/O

Joe McGuckin joe at oilean.uucp
Mon Nov 26 20:21:37 AEST 1990

I have an application that needs to send/receive stuff from a serial port in
an async. manner. I know that Unix's tip forks a seperate processes for sending
and receiving chars. This seems kludgey to me - plus, I want the main process to
be able to communicate with the sending and receiving code. Can someone suggest
a better way than forking??

What about sigvec() - it looks as if one could create user level interrupt routines
that get triggered when characters are available for I/O on a file/device...

-joe

joe at parcplace.com

Joe McGuckin             oilean!joe at sgi.com
Island Software          joe at parcplace.com