$ENV: ?? WHat does that mean?!!

Arthur W. Protin Jr. protin at pica.army.mil
Tue Nov 6 01:42:34 AEST 1990

Ken Bell <SYKLB%NASAGISS.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu> sent this piece
of MISINFORMATION:
> When the Korn shell starts up, if it's a login shell, then your
> .profile is executed, otherwise it isn't.  If you want to have
> something that is executed on every login (like the .login in
> the C shell), then you put it in an .environment file, and you
> can specify the name of that file in the ENV environment variable.

I think what he meant to say was
> .profile is executed, otherwise it isn't.  If you want to have
:                                            If you want to have
: something that is executed on every shell startup (like the .cshrc in
: the C shell), then you put it in a file, and you
: specify the name of that file in the ENV environment variable.

What the Korn Shell man page says is:

    ENV     If this parametere is set, then parameter substitution is
            performed on the value to generate the pathname of the script
            that will be executed when the shell is invoked. (See "Invocation"
            below.)  This file it typically used for "alias" and "function"
            definitions.

REMEMBER: Read the Fine Manual,
and then Quote the Fine Manual.

Arthur Protin <protin at pica.army.mil>
These are my personal views and do not reflect those of my boss
or this installation.