Warning: Failed mail to VMS host

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch at pucc.princeton.edu mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch at pucc.princeton.edu
Tue Nov 20 12:20:17 AEST 1990

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN at CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

UNIX-WIZARDS Digest          Sun, 18 Nov 1990              V11#035

Today's Topics:
                Re: write/close (was Re: Trojan Horses)
           Re: Status of voting to rename comp.unix.internals
                  Re: how to setuid for shell scripts?
                       Re: Killer Micro Question
              How do you find the symbolic links to files.
            Re: How do you find the symbolic links to files.

From: Malcolm Weir <malc at iconsys.uucp>
Subject: Re: write/close (was Re: Trojan Horses)
Date: 27 Oct 90 02:36:18 GMT
To:       unix-wizards at sem.brl.mil

In article <35111 at cup.portal.com> ts at cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:

>In summary, this behaviour of a file system is not acceptable.

As I understand it, under bog standard *nix System V, and 4.2 for that matter,
running on disk-rich workstations (i.e. without NFS), it is perfectly possible
for data to be lost long after the write(2) has occurred, the close(2) has
been performed, and the process itself having retired to a little cottage in
the country to end its days in comfort, with each operation gleefully reporting
success and basically life to be wonderful.

Consider what happens when your machine is informed that the disk has a BAD
SECTOR, or worse, that someone has emptied their morning coffee into your
drive cabinet and the drives have quit in protest...

Error returns? Luxury. They may be too late to do anything, but its better
than *not* telling you!

Malc.

P.s. How about a "Call for Votes" on whether "comp.unix.internals" should be
renamed and re-chartered as "comp.whining.wingeing.noisy.bastards"?
":-)" Intentionally left out.

-----------------------------

From: Dan Mick <dan at kfw.com>
Subject: Re: Status of voting to rename comp.unix.internals
Date: 16 Nov 90 22:39:09 GMT
To:       unix-wizards at sem.brl.mil

In article <1990Nov15.160404.10588 at chinet.chi.il.us> laird at chinet.chi.il.us
 (Laird J. Heal) writes:
>I will summarize here the voting choices as there has been some confusion.
>
>The voting period began on October 25, and continues to November 25.

  [ etc ]

I sent a vote, through uunet, to the listed address, and it got to the
machine and then bounced with 'no such user' from that machine.

I don't think you want input.

-----------------------------

From: Robert Withrow <withrow at vino.enet.dec.com>
Date: 17 Nov 90 23:28:54 GMT
Sender: guest at ryn.esg.dec.com
To:       unix-wizards at sem.brl.mil

I sent in my ballot right after this call for votes was issued
and I never received an acknowlegement.

I also sent a reply to this ``status of voting posting'' to you telling you
about
this and asking if you had my vote.  To date I have had no reply.

Considering the history of this issue I am hesitant to just start sending
in additional ballots until one is acknowleged (least I be accused of
ballot box stuffing!), but I want to be certain that my vote is counted!

Could you please look into this and straighten this out?

Also, if others who read this group have experienced the same
problem, would they please *post* this so that the group at large
can discover if this is a widespread phenomina.

From: "John F. Haugh II" <jfh at rpp386.cactus.org>
Subject: Re: how to setuid for shell scripts?
Date: 17 Nov 90 01:07:32 GMT
To:       unix-wizards at sem.brl.mil