Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 1 of 6

Eric S. Raymond eric at snark.thyrsus.com
Fri Nov 30 22:03:47 AEST 1990

In <1000 at langtry.cs.utexas.edu> Robert Mayoff wrote:
>                          [flaming me]
> I'm offended.  This is just plain wrong.  The correct order is 1 User
> Commands, 2 System Calls, 3 Subroutines, 4 Devices, 5 File Formats, 6 Games
> & Demos, 7 Miscellaneous, and 8 Maintenance Commands.

I dunno what weird UNIX you're using, but if you'll look at a stock AT&T SVr3.2
manual set you'll find the sections to be as I described them. Did it occur
to you that we might *both* be right before you hit the send key?

<sigh> Two-valued logic is such a bummer sometimes.

I'll add a note that sections 4 and 5 and 7 have been known to get swapped
around.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric at snark.thyrsus.com  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)