System-wide .login?

ihor.j.kinal ijk at cbnewsh.att.com
Wed Nov 7 05:38:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov3.202245.3466 at erbe.se>, prc at erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
> Csh doesn't have anything similar, but Bourne and Korn shell do,
> at least under System V. The file /etc/profile serves the same
> purpose as syslogin.com.

QUESTION: is /etc/profile really executed upon login under the ksh,
	assuming the user has ksh  as the login shell??  If I want
	to define a GLOBAL alias for everyone can I do it in /etc/profile?
	[To answer my own question, is I don't think so].

The only other way I can think of doing this is to  define ENV to be
	read-only, and set it to a file containing the alias in question.
	This is a rather crude method, and unacceptable if I want
	users to have additional ENV capabilities.

So why doesn't ksh have a global ENV file??

#include standard disclaimers: plus `they' don't give me root, so I
can't really play with setting /etc/profile :-)

Ihor Kinal
att!cbnewsh!ijk