Checking Exit Codes (was: Re: Trojan Horses)

Sean Fagan seanf at sco.COM
Wed Oct 31 18:25:23 AEST 1990

In article <18658 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>so, you will always assume that failing asserts never return?

Yes.  I believe that's what ANSI (and POSIX) says.  At least one
implementation (ours, to be honest 8-)) makes sure that abort() will not
return.  The only way, from my glancing of the object code (disassembled, of
course), to get it to return would be to send the process a signal it *does*
catch, and then longjmp() out of that signal handler.

But there's now way I know of to make sure that such a thing doesn't happen.
(Well, you could, in abort(), block all signals, I suppose, and, now that I
think about it, I think I'll see about getting us to do so 8-).)