Call for discussion, COMP.UNIX rereorganisation

Laird J. Heal laird at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri Oct 12 21:01:58 AEST 1990

It does occur to me that a comp.unix.wizards with a moderated tag would not
be totally unworkable - however, my conception of it would not be a 'pure'
single-moderated scheme and might meet with disapproval from those who think
that only named moderators should put up the "Approved:" header.

One thing that would have to be done is to add a line to the Frequently
Asked Questions, namely "How do I become a wizard?" with the answer of
"Read RFC822 and RFC1033." (I think I have my numbers straight).

comp.unix.wizqrds would then be subject to posting from any wizard around,
and postings lacking the "magic incantation" would route to the mailing-list
where they would appear - for all intents and purposes they would not appear
on Usenet (unless Eric Fair should decide to automatically approve them
in software somehow.

Note that I do not really like this idea, but I propose it as a possibly-
workable method meeting the goals of many of the participants discussing
this.  It is too much of a hack and bends the rules too much for my taste.
--
My .signature is on vacation ------------- like me!