suspension of long process

Jim Burns gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU
Thu Oct 4 12:12:00 AEST 1990

in article <3940 at ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, wgsiemel at praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Willem Siemelink) says:

> I have got a process that takes days to complete.  However, the System
> Administration does not want me to run it in daytime.  So now I am looking for

How about running it in a script that does something like this:

user-process&
kill -STOP $!                          #suspend last background job
echo kill -CONT $!|at 1900             #resume job at 7pm
echo kill -STOP $!|at 900              #suspend next morning
                                       #repeat variations of above 2 lines
				       #for as many days as estimated need
echo $!>$HOME/.batch-job               #record pid in case still running
				       #after above at's exhausted

Really long jobs could be handled similarly w/cron(1). Make sure you read
the 'man at' pages for admin files that must be setup to allow you to run
at jobs, and other gotchas.
--
BURNS,JIM
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30178, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
Internet: gt0178a at prism.gatech.edu