More on du(1)

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM
Fri Oct 5 10:15:49 AEST 1990

In article <384 at pacer.UUCP> davidb at Pacer.UUCP (David Barts) writes:

feych

>This blocksize ends up embedded in du, and each system's du thinks that
>the entire world uses the same size it does.  In summary, avoid using
>du on network directories--it does not give reliable information.

Then the du is broke...which doesn't surprise me.  I found several broken
du's when testing the one I posted recently to comp.sources.misc.  The
tests were not run in networked environments - the problem was usually
seen as botched double and triple indirection calculations.

If your remote filesystem properly supports the statfs() system call
then the du I posted will work since it uses statfs() to determine the
filesystem block size.  So, I'd expect it to be well behaved in most
SysVish environments, even networked ones.

--
Chip Rosenthal  <chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM>
Unicom Systems Development, 512-482-8260